Monday, February 19, 2007

Checking in...


Well, I haven't been very good at making myself blog everyday...obviously...and now I'm having a difficult time deciding what I should write about to catch up on things. I think go with random thoughts and hopefully you'll be able to make some sense out of it.
We've started working out the kinks in the schedule...but we definitely have a looong way to go. Here's a rough sketch of my schedule...
7:30 Monday, Wednesday, & Friday- Student Lead Devotions
Tuesday & Thursday- Pray at Cucea (another Universersity)
9:00 Monday- Friday- Spanish Classes at UAG
1:00 Monday& Tuesday- Engage Office Time
Wednesday- Teach English at Christina School
Thursday- After School Program in Paraisos (another community)
5:00 Tuesday & Thursday- Exercise Program
6:30 Everyday- Dinner (A very exciting part of the day)
7:30 Monday- Team Meeting
9:30 Friday- Downtown Homeless Outreach

...I feel like I spend most of my life on a bus...


I started my second week of level two for Spanish classes today. I feel like I've improved a lot with understanding when people are speaking to me...I at least almost always understand the basic idea of what is being communicated. The other day the teacher was telling a joke...and I knew it was a joke...but I didn't understand the punchline...so I laughed to keep from being frustrated. The teacher smiled and asked if anyone else understood the joke other than me...I was so scared that she was going to ask me to explain to the rest of my classmates. (She usually does that.) I got let off the hook though...because she just explained more slowly for "the rest of the class"...and I understood after that.



I've absolutely loved getting to know my classmates. I've was able to spend some time with them outside of class the other week. We had lunch and went to the park. (José is in the tree because a kite got stuck.) Soon, one of my classmates from last month...has adopted me as his "Primera Hija" because he is the same age as my dad. I've also been able to meet "Mi Mama" Sandra, and two adorable "Hermanitas" Lucia and Sara (Sara is the one in the picture.)



It's also been encouraging to grow closer to my team members...Right now we have a prank war raging between the two houses...and it's pretty intense classified information. Other than this recent turn of events... It's been positive overall. We had a Valentine's Day party...which was pretty exciting. Seriously though, I'm very thankful for the oportunity to be living with people who share a passion for missions, and who are so much fun.

I need to take more pictures during ministry!!! The picture on the left is some of the Christina's School kids. Although I always had this knowledge, I have been experiencing that missions is not an event, but it's building relationships. A lot of times these kids don't really care about learning English...but they're starving for someone to care about them.
The picture on the right is Catederal de Guadalajara (which is a very famous post card photo). The architecture is so awe-inspiring... and as Isaac (a pretty smart Engage guy) stated, "It's everything we're supposed to be on the inside." It's heart-breaking because this magnificent building stands in stark contrast to the harsh reality of life that surrounds it. Beside this building is where we hold our weekly Downtown Homeless Outreach. The people are so grateful for the small meal and love that we are able to provide for them...it's truly humbling for me.
Well...I think that pretty much wraps things up...