Thursday, January 25, 2007

When The Going Gets Tough...The Tough Start an Exercise Program


This week the Engage in Missions program started a new baseline activity...exercising. A baseline activity is another way of saying there's no way out of it. Since so many people are fasting, Lorie (a missionary/ local fitness trainer) said she wouldn't get into anything too difficult. Well, her definition of "too difficult" and ours was like night and day...I guess that's why she's a fitness trainer (and come to think of it a missionary) though. All of the things we were doing was just using our own body weight...mainly our "powerhouse." If there was any doubt in my mind before, there isn't now. I have no powerhouse.
The worst part is the stairs. (Climax music inserted here.) Actually, going up isn't that bad...but coming down is killer.



Honestly though...this has been so helpful for me. I haven't had much insentive or opportunity to get any quality exercise in, and it is important to take care of the body God has given me. I wouldn't start/continue this on my own. I am not in shape at all...but I'm not alone in that. Everyone here knows I'm not a fitness expert...but they aren't either. It's such a reminder of the Christian life...we're in it together doing our best to follow Christ's example...sometimes sloppily at best. Lorie also brought up a very good point. Most things require discipline. Obviously, no discipline feels pleasant at the time, but we need it or we'll remain weak. (I've becom painfully aware of this fact.)
So that's a lot to think about from a stretching (literally) experience. I'm going to take some IB Profen and head to bed :)