Tuesday, November 21, 2006

...about a true hero


My family travelled down to LaPine, Oregon for my Uncle Ken's memorial service on Sunday afternoon. I was amazed by the number of people in attendance. The High School auditorium had room to seat 450... it was packed and there were probably close to 100 people standing outside.
I wish I had the oportunity to spend more time with my Uncle, but the times I did spend with him had an undeniable impact on me. Uncle Ken lived life and loved people. That was so obvious when I looked into tearful eyes of the family and hundreds of friends he left behind. It was the thread that connected all of the memories from people who my uncle had invested in over his 49 years. My Uncle Ken was a true hero. If I would have told him that, he would have laughed. The people who lived life along side him probably wouldn't have considered him to be one, just a beloved part of the family or an indispensible friend...but now that he is gone, his true worth is made apparent by the legacy that is left behind. The funny thing is, he didn't serve others for the praise, but those he served were anxious to help him whenever they could. He was not a devoted husband, father, and friend for the benefits he could receive...but in the process, he gained more positive influence and genuine love than most people could even imagine. He didn't live with the intention of being remembered, but he always will be. Uncle Ken mastered something that is an illusive and discouraging pursuit.
At the end of the service, my cousin Chris shared a challenge that has taken a hold of my heart. "Now, I'm not one to preach, but if there's one thing you can learn from this, it's tell the people who you love that you love them. You never know if you'll have the chance later. That's what my dad did."
So here's to the man who knew life is for living, people are for loving...and who I was blessed to know as my Uncle Ken.